Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spitting on Marines

We all dream of sending our children to a good University. What many may not realize is the narrow scope of social ideology that is being "taught" along with biology, physics, or English lit.

My Grandson, along with his fellow band members, was in Lake Havasu last weekend promoting two of the band's sponsors, Gretsch Musical instruments and Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer. They happened to meet up with two young Marines who were just home from Iraq and facing deployment to Afghanistan.

Both young men were about 20 or 21 years old and highly upset and frustrated because they had just met up with a group of college students who, upon discovering that they were Marines, spat on them! Spit! How pathetic, disgusting, and mean spirited is that?

Of course the Marines, being in excellent shape and trained in combat, could have happily and easily wiped the floor with their tormentors. They didn't dare lay a finger on them knowing they would probably have been arrested and possibly faced military court marshal.

So why do college students feel entitled to show such contempt as to spit on anyone with whom they disagree? It seems to be a growing form of demonstrating disapproval by college students as a young woman handing out a newspaper to fellow students at UC Berkley found.

Her experience is featured in the following video of Lou Dodd and Evan Coyne Maloney discussing the documentary film, Indoctrinate U .







More about Evan Coyne Maloney's Documentary, Indoctrinate U, here. There are segments available on YouTube and people can organize showings in their own communities.

I always thought spitting on people was only done by old crones in novels depicting the dark ages. Or by helpless heroines facing death in movies. Who knew it would be the weapon choice by American youth for assaulting a fellow human with whom they disagree!

The thing that really bothers me is what would these same young people do if they had the power to really hurt people who hold different ideas or ideals than their own? Would they stop at spitting? Could they lynch those who disagreed with them? Or consign them to a camp or worse? Never in America? I would like to believe that.

7 comments:

  1. Linda..I like the look of your new blog!

    What we are facing in this country is beyond belief..it seems as if a certain segment of society has been turned over to a reprobste mind!

    My husband suffered the same disgusting thing when he returned from Viet Nam..spat upon by the very ones for whom he had risked life and limb to ensure their freedom.

    I never thought that would be happening again, but how wrong I was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should have been 'reprobate' but I know you knew that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jan:)
    I have always felt bad that, while I am an American who considers themselves patriotic but did nothing to stand up against that sort of outrageous behavior toward our soldiers.
    I was so busy living my little life that I did nothing to express the outrage I felt regarding their behavior and toward those who encouraged impressionable youth to behave in that way.
    Please tell your husband I'm sorry and that this time, I'm speaking out for freedom while there's still freedom to speak out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooops I meant considers myself patriotic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I served 20 years in the Army. Did two tours in Vietnam. When I returned from my last VN tour, I didn't receive a welcome worth remembering. It seems as if the times haven't changed much. Hold your heads high Marines, you know what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankfully our military knows what it is about and does not feel the need to get caught up in squabbles. They focus on the tremendous jobs they have to do to protect our freedom. Oh but those of us that love them so and respect the gift they provide every American, want to do some spitting of our own. My spouse has been called a war monger and a baby killer and yet I have never known a more honest, trustworthy, giving, caring person. Go for it Linda. Talk the talk my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda G, I just followed the link here from Jan's blog and must say you are doing a great job thus far. My youngest son Josh is a proud Marine and a hot tempered Cherokee. I'm not sure he would have held his temper in check in a situation like that. But these two young Marines are to be highly commended for their discipline and self control.
    The very act of spitting on another human being is not only disgusting, but considering other issues such as AIDS, should be classified as physical assault and charged as such. AND, it is one of the most cowardly things a person can do.
    Thanks for a great blog. DM

    ReplyDelete